Saturday, September 17, 2011

Still a Burney!


LOVE!
Last night, B ask me if he can upload some new songs onto his Ipod. "Sure," I told him. All his songs have to be approved with me before he can upload. I'm looking over his list and see one that just shocked me. Living Colour-Cult of Personality, LOVE THAT SONG!! That's from my day :-) We start watching the video on YouTube. Aiden, Damen and Deven are now all in the room watching. Oh and they all love the song. I asked them where they heard the song, they told me from WWE Wrestling,( SIGH)! Whatever :p Okay, so on the video there are pop up's of Martin Luther King Jr. The boys instantly say, "HEY, I KNOW WHO THAT IS!" I said, "WHO?" "I can't remember his name right now mom." B then tells me MLK. He then tells me who he was and how he helped black people. I explained that we wouldn't be where we are right now if he hadn't spoke up and risked his life to make sure everyone had equality. Damen, then ask me, "Mom why us?" I told him, "Damen because of our nationality and family heritage." He then says, "Mom........what does that mean.......what are we?" "Damen, we are half black and half white, proud Americas." "OH.....is that's why Grandpa Burney is brown and Grandma Burney is yellow?" At this point, I'm thinking, I got in way over my head here ;-). He's asking me question after question now. I then told him, "DAMEN.....we will talk more about his as you get older." " He looks at me and says, "MOM, mom....sooooo we are black and white but does this mean I'm still a Burney though?" LOOOOOOVE!!!!

1 comment:

Jamie said...

That is precious! It made me cry and you handled it perfectly momma! Love y'all!