Saturday, December 31, 2011

Homemade laundry detergent

I am for ever HOOKED!  I got this wonderful recipe from my friend Laurie Harris.  I have shared it with a few other friends and ALL of them LOVE it!  It's so economical and it's works.  I was hesitant, at first.  My clothes keep coming out clean every time, so now I am convinced and HOOKED!  Having 4 boys, some of you that have been at my house and seen my laundry, I have TONS of it.......well.......now I can save money on laundry detergent, YAAAY!  I have a front loader and it works great in there as well.  My "laundry det" cup is removable on my front loader.  It's like that in case I want to use a powder det.  I removed it cause this soap is a tiny bit thick.  Absolutely no problems :) 
My new laundry friend ;-)
Yes, this truly does work on stains!  This is a soap that has been around for years.  I could only find it at our Ace Hardware store here.  Ace carries a lot of the older soaps.  I found all the other soaps at Target.  They had them at Ace, but it was cheaper at Target, $2.99 for the Borax, $1.99 for the Arm & Hammer, and $1.79 per bar.   Nev picked up the bucket from Home Depot....not sure what he paid?   5 Gallon is a must, this makes a lot of soap.  Happy washing!
 Cooking my laundry det, the house smelt GOOD!
1 cup of washing soda
1/2 cup of borax
1 bar of soap

Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda
20 Mule Team Borax
Fels-Naptha Laundry Bar Soap
(You can use other bar soap,
but I really like the smell and color
of the Fels-Naptha.)

The steps are very simple.
First you grate your bar of soap.
Simmer 4 cups of water on the stove,
add the soap a little at a time
and stir until it is dissolved.
Pour 3 gallons of warm tap water into a five gallon bucket.
Add your soapy water from the stove.
Then add 1 cup of washing soda
and 1/2 cup of borax.
Stir well until it is all combined.
Put the lid on your bucket and let it sit
for 24 hours.
Use 1 cup/load

Happy washing!

No comments: