
I often think back to the 80's.....ya know when I grew up ;-) Today, I was in the grocery store with my four guys, Nev's out of town, and I just had 5 things on my list to buy. I waited till B got out of school so I didn't have to load the little one's up and unload them and load them and unload them and.....well you get the point. I had a very short quick post office run before hand. They were angels at the PO......perfect! The grocery store.....well, they weren't bad, just 'busy' :) I got to thinking to myself, back in the good'ol days you could smack your child on the rear or smack'em up side the head and go about your business. Now, you even look at your child mean and they try to lock you up for life, no joke.
I remember the days where my bro's and my sister and I would go outside and play till the lightning bugs came out or we got sick and tired of getting eaten up by mosquito's. My dad always told us that if we weren't back at the house at sun down OR if were didn't come home when he whistled, we were in trouble!! Shoooooooooot.........now, you can't even let your kids out of the house without a tracking device. Dang, I don't like all that video game stuff...but sometimes it's just safer than letting them outside. Tooooooo many sickos out there.
I LOVED it when we would go somewhere and I could hang my head out the back seat window like dogs do now! We use to talk in funny voices and could barely breath with all that wind blowing in our faces!!!!! FUN! FUN! FUN! Also, we didn't have car seats then either. Car seats are a MUST now!! Back then, I have no idea how in the world kids rode around in the car without car seats :p
I remember sneaking into the fridge and taking raw hot dogs out of the package and scarfing down on them. NO! Hell no, you do that now and you'll spend a week at the toilet wishing for relief.........no beggin for relief. I remember sitting on the porch eating a peanut butter spoon. Have ya had one of those? Okay, so you take a big spoon, not one of those little crappy cereal soup spoons.......a BIG one the big spoon, and get the biggest scoop you can in the peanut butter jar. Then you eat till you are happy! Mmmmmmm! I don't know if my parent's knew that us kids did this but it sure was gooooood ;o)
I loved walking home from school! Good times! I would walk 11 blocks at times and loved it :o) Now, don't even think about letting your child walk home.......you might not see him or her again...ever. Ever.
Oh! What the hell happened to chores? People, really? I had chores, I had responsibilities. I see parents outside, with teenage kiddo's, the parents are doing everything and I mean everything, and NOT a single child in sight helping out. What's wrong with the child getting out there and helping?? The lawn needs mowed.....well....teach them and they can help do it. I can go on and on and on on this one......
Cartoons now suck. They are horrible. Okay, ok...I admit I laugh at Sponge Bob, I do. Why, I don't know. What happened to Tom and Jerry? Yes, I know it's still out there BUT it's not the after school cartoon. Smurf's Looney Toon's...good cartoons, where are you! :)
Raising a child these days is hard!! I just had to take a walk down memory lane...just as small one :)
Just thinking........that's all. I'm NOT old, I'm 33! That's YOUNG!!! I feeeeel old though ;)
3 comments:
LOVE YOU! You're preachin' to the choir sister. I often think to myself...I'm raising children in the wrong decade. I want to raise my bubby in Texas where he can run and jump and fall down, play outside until he crashes, stick his foot in a fire ant bed and it's no big deal. We are WAY to careful now and just need to let kids be kids!
wait till you face your 20th high school reunion :-/
You are too funny! I did all of those things, except the peanut butter...that grosses me out a little! LOL! I know exactly how you feel. My kids don't understand why I won't let them go outside in the front yard by themselves. I trust them, but not other people! Girl...you're young!! I got you beat by almost 3 years!! :) Oh, and I LOVE the hair.
Post a Comment